Billie Eilish - No Time to Die

Sign in to follow this  
papergangsta

About "wish you were gay"

What are your thoughts? Do you agree (as some think) that it is homophobic or just not thought on well? I mean, I do get why people might think that. 

I kinda got listening to it because I really did wish this one guy was gay, lmao @my desperate gay ass :air:

so I kinda like it? 

I mean, she explicitly explains that lyric within the song itself so I still don't get what people are making such a fuss about tbh :genius:

I'm of course referring to:

"To spare my pride
To give your lack of interest an explanation"

:genius:

How can there still be a controversy after that :finger:

absolutely not! honestly I don't think many people think it's homophobic, more just trivialising sexuality or some other bs :deadbanana:

it's campy and very '15-year-old in love' kind of music, it's her honest unfiltered thoughts and it's relatable content honestly. not in the sense that 'I'm gay and I wish you were' but for the actual reason she says; so many people hope that the only reason that their crush doesn't like them is something unrelated to their personality :cry:

I just think that people are still getting used to the idea of the word 'gay' being chucked around in music, even in 2019 the word is barely said unless it's some sort of empowering bop (BTW for example) and people just reacted badly to her casually saying it in her song. Very Generation Z tbh, we stan :finger:

Edited by BlueMadonna

it's actually not, when i saw the title i was like: oh baby what are you doing, a big storm is coming

turns out i really liked it, nice beat and the song is about being egocentric enough to wish someone to be gay instead of accepting the fact that he doesn't like you

3 hours ago, papergangsta said:

I kinda got listening to it because I really did wish this one guy was gay, lmao @my desperate gay ass :air:

tenor.gif?itemid=7473652

I know of the meaning of the song but I pretend it's about wishing the straight crush to be gay :gah: .

Spoiler

I know I'm delusional af  :wtf:  :cry:

I think just by listening to the lyrics you can tell its not homophobic. also billie has commented on this, but I feel like she shouldn't even have to. if people are offended by the title, they shouldn't just jump to conclusions. listen to the song and then feel free to express your opinions about it. we all know the people calling it homophobic are the ones who haven't listened to it lmao. 

12 hours ago, Didymus said:

I mean, she explicitly explains that lyric within the song itself so I still don't get what people are making such a fuss about tbh :genius:

12 hours ago, Didymus said:

I'm of course referring to:

"To spare my pride
To give your lack of interest an explanation"

:genius:

How can there still be a controversy after that :finger:

This!!!!! :genius:

Nah, it isn't homophobic

Sure, she could've used a less problematic metaphor but I can see Billie becoming a gay icon so...

i don’t think it’s homophobic after she explained it, but i don’t like that people are saying it’s the new gay anthem when it’s about a straight relationship...:tired:

its a good song and she even said it could be the other way around about a gay girl and a gay girl saying “i wish you were straight” 

I don't think it's homophobic, but i can understand why people are bothered by it

i personally find it harmless, tho